Saturday 16th March 2019
Holy Places Visited
- Grote of Sint-Laurenskerk [“Great or Saint Lawrence’s Church”], Rotterdam
- Eendrachtskapel [“Unity Chapel”], Rotterdam
- Waalse Kerk [“Wallonian Church”], Rotterdam (exterior)
- Russisch Orthodoxe Kerk [“Russian Orthodox Church”], Rotterdam (exterior)
- Essalammoskee [“Essalam Mosque”], Feijenoord, Rotterdam
Approximately 12½ km (8 miles)
Ian joined the pilgrimage in the morning before we parted ways after lunch. From the centre of Rotterdam I walked across the Erasmusbrug [“Erasmus Bridge”] to the south of the city, and visited the docklands area of Kop van Zuid-Entrepot [“Head of South Entrepôt”].
I stopped at a memorial called Loods 24 [“Harbour Building 24”], which commemorates the tragic events in 1942 and 1943 when a total of 686 Jewish children were forcibly deported from Nazi-occupied Rotterdam to the extermination camps at Auschwitz and Sobibór, where they were murdered. I held a ten-minute silent peace vigil in honour of their memory.
Later in the afternoon I walked on through the areas of Feijenoord and IJsselmonde to Barendrecht.
Thank you to Ian for joining for the first part of the day’s pilgrimage.